Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I'm such a good scientist that they come to me!

On my way back into the house last night from the Cave of Strength I found this little guy waiting for me on my mail box.



IMAG0836


IMAG0841


This is Hyla regilla, or also known as the Pacific Tree Frog.  This one was approximately an inch and a half long.  About average size for an adult.  I live about 3 miles from a large wetland resevoir area where you can here the mating calls all throughout the spring.  This guy traveled a long way to end up on my mailbox about 5 feet off the ground.  He was enjoying the many bugs that were attracted to my porch light.  Since the H. regilla is generally a ground dweller I allowed him to finish his snack and then gently placed him in the flower beds.  I turned the water on as he was looking a bit dry and he hopped away.  Hopefully this guy will call my front yard part of his territory and I will get the benefit of having a bug eating machine living amongst my plant.

I'm a bit of a herpetologist(studier of amphibians and reptiles), which is my nerdy side.  It's a good thing I'm pretty big and scary looking or else you all might start making fun of me.  But this is what my junior explorers(my kids) and I do when we go hiking.

Discover your Passion,
Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment