Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pineapple Power!

I love pineapple.  I didn't used to, but as my tastes matured I learned to love the flavor of fresh pineapple.  Pineapple is a staple in our diet in the Miller household.  I began to wonder if all that pineapple was really good nutritionally and here's what I found...


For 165 gram serving of pineapple you get:
82 calories
0 fat grams
22 grams of carbohydrates
-2 of which are fiber
-16 of which come from sugars
1 gram of protein

NOT BAD!  NOT BAD AT ALL!

Now consider some other important facts about the "Pineapple Express":
- contains 131% daily value of Vitamin c
- mild-to-moderate anti-inflammatory properties
- just as filling as it is nutritious.
- Very good quality of protein.

The vitamin C content is great for body functions.
The anti-inflammatory properties make this fruit a good choice while recovering from injuries.
The fact that the pineapple contains 2 grams of fiber makes this a filling piece of fruit.
The protein in pineapple has good amino acid coverage - if it contained more leucine it would be a high-quality protein.

Now remember, I am not talking about juice.  I'm talking about the actual fruit.  The juice is the flavor and the fruit is the rest of the good stuff.  On http://nutritiondata.self.com/ they promote pineapple as a healthy weight loss food.  So all those bodybuilders out there cutting weight for a competition should take notice.  Jump on the "Pineapple Express" as a way to sweeten up your diet.

All these facts were pulled from http://nutritiondata.self.com/ and the credit for the research should go to them.  I am just bringing it to your attention.

Keep Moving Foreward,
Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment